Sep 6, 2018

Knitting Pattern for Scraptastic Infinity Scarf

I have several deadlines looming over my head in my knitting world. Yet somehow I keep returning to work on this scrap yarn project. It seems odd to knit such a heavy scarf, especially today when temperature is in the 90's F (30Celsia). The weather calls for a trip to a lake rather then working on a long scarf that has been on my knitting needles for several years, but somehow I feel the urge to finally finish it and be ready when the winter comes.


Scraptastic Infinity Scarf


I couldn't stop until the scarf was finished.

 



Here is the knitting pattern for:
Scraptastic Infinity Scarf 
by Stana D. S.

Finished Measurements: 5" (12.5 centimeters) width (including I-cord edge) and 100" (250 centimeters) (or whatever length you wish to achieve)

Gauge: 20 sts & 27 rows = 4" (10 cm) in stockinette stitch.

Material: Scrap Yarn from other knitting projects in similar weight. It's a great way to use up all those little leftovers. And about 80 yards ( 74 meters)5 of CC yarn for the I-cord.

Recommended Needle Size: US 5/3.75 mm. Also DPN US # 5/3.75 mm ( set of 5).

Notions: Yarn needle, scissors, crochet hook.

Abbreviation:
K = knit
P = purl
Sl. st. = slipped stitch
CC = Contrast yarn
CO = cast on
BO = bind off.

Pattern Notes:
This Scraptastic Infinity Scarf is knit flat in double moss stitch pattern, using whatever scraps of yarn you have from your other knitting projects. The last stitch of each row is slipped without knitting it for a nicer edge. After achieving desired length, use 3 Needle BO to join the CO edge with the BO edge. For hiding all the ends, make sure they all stay on the WS when knitting the scarf. Then join the two long edges with an I-cord for a neat edge. For this I-cord I  would suggest to use a singular colored yarn to avoid connecting the various scraps of yarn.

Double Moss Stitch Pattern (worked over 50 sts):
1Row: (K2, P2) 12x, K1, Sl. st.
2 Row: (P2, K2) 12x, P1, Sl. st.
3 Row: (P2, K2) 12x, P1, Sl. st.
4 Row: (K2, P2) 12x, K1, Sl. st.
Repeat Rows 1 - 4 for the pattern.

I-cord edge:
With  CC yarn and double pointed needle cast on 3 additional sts on left needle. Position the yarn behind and work as follows: 
Pick up 1 st through both edges. Position the yarn behind and work as follows:  
Knit first 2 sts. Knit next 2 sts together. Return the 3 sts back onto left needle and repeat.
Continue the I-cord, attaching it around the edge until you reach the beginning of your I-cord. Cut the yarn, leaving a long tail, and thread the end on a yarn needle. Pull the end through the remaining stitches on the needles, gather up and close the hole, stitch to secure.

Directions:
CO 50 sts. Work in the various scrap of yarn in similar weight (from light to worsted, connecting the scraps with a knot, and making sure the knots are all on the wrong side.
Work all Rows in the Double Moss Stitch Pattern until you reach desired length.
When you are ready to BO, join the CO edge with the BO and use the method 3 Needle BO on the wrong side, making sure the right side are facing each other.
After joining the CO and BO edge, turn the work and bend it lengthwise in half with RS outside and the WS inside. Attach  CC yarn and join the two edges together with an I-cord.

Wrong Side of the Scraptastic Infinity Scarf
Right Side of the Scraptastic Infinity Scarf

Attaching the I-cord along the edge
Scraptastic Infinity Scarf  I-cord edge
Scraptastic Infinity Scarf 

No comments:

Post a Comment